A handfasting is a great way to celebrate your marriage in a very unique way.
It is an ancient Celtic Ritual – have you ever wondered where the term “tying the knot” comes from?
It is a perfect way to include children, parents, family and friends within your ceremony, showing their love & support for your marriage. Coloured Ribbons or Cords are chosen each with a different meaning.
In traditional Celtic handfasting the ribbons that bind the couple’s wrists are made up of thirteen different colors, each with its own special meaning.
Each color has its own meaning.
- Red: passion, strength, lust, fertility
- Orange: encouragement, attraction, kindness, plenty
- Yellow: charm, confidence, joy, balance
- Green: finances, fertility, charity, prosperity, health
- Blue: tranquility, patience, devotion, sincerity
- Purple: Power, piety, sanctity, sentimentality
- Black: strength, wisdom, vision, success
- White: purity, concentration, meditation, peace
- Gray: neutrality, canceling, balance
- Pink: unity, honor, truth, romance, happiness
- Brown: earth, grounding, talent, telepathy, home
- Silver: treasure, values, creativity, inspiration
- Gold: energy, wealth, intelligence, longevity
Most couples choose three or four different coloured ribbons to symbolise their love for each other.
Ask Jeanette to share her ideas for creating a handfasting ceremony just for you or you can include this within a traditional wedding ceremony.